|City of Kingston|
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posted: October 14th 2022
Deadline: December 13th, 2022
Salary: $25.22-$30.96 per hour
Kingston is a smart, livable city in the heart of eastern Ontario. Its stable and diversified economy includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government. Kingstonians enjoy a high quality of life with access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We take our core values of trust, respect, integrity and pride seriously and apply these standards to everything we do. We foster a working environment that reflects our community’s diversity and respects people’s dignity, ideas and beliefs. The City of Kingston views diversity as its strength and encourages people from all backgrounds, including but not limited to women, racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons who identify as members *2SLGBTQ+ communities, to apply.
We are recruiting for Bus Operators. These are part-time positions up to 24 hours per week.
The Bus Operator is responsible to transport passengers to destinations on defined routes while providing excellent customer service skills in a safe, courteous and professional manner.
- Provide excellent customer service skills in a safe, courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Transport passengers to destinations on defined routes while adhering to schedules.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of situations, including responding to customer queries, interacting with other operators and operations staff.
- Ensure the safety of all passengers by obeying and following defensive driving guidelines, local traffic laws, Kingston Transit polices and procedures and the Highway Traffic Act.
- Conduct pre and post trip vehicle inspection.
- Deal with diverse and challenging situations such as traffic congestion, construction and detours, and collisions.
- Operate a variety of transit fleet, including but not limited to New Flyers, Internationals, Orions, Novas and passenger vans in a safe manner under varying weather conditions, on a day, night, and/or split shift.
- Operate a ramp or wheelchair lift device when necessary to assist passengers, secure passenger’s wheelchairs to restraining devices to stabilize wheelchairs during trip.
- Complete written reports on collisions or other incidents in an accurate and timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
- One year of experience driving a large vehicle such as an ambulance, fire truck, school bus, coach bus, heavy truck, tractor trailer, or truck and trailer combinations including towed vehicles is an asset.
- Customer service experience is an asset.
- Valid Class G driver’s licence with a clean driver’s record and abstract.
- Valid BZ or CZ licence is an asset.
- Must demonstrate the corporate competencies: customer focus, results criented, integrity and teamwork.
Skills, Abilities, Work Demands:
- Ability to operate in a diverse cultural community using demonstrated excellent customer skills and effective communication skills.
- Ability to react and deal with emergency situations as they arise.
- Ability to read, complete forms and effectively communicate.
- Ability to apply clear thinking to select the best course of action to resolve problems or address conflict.
- Multi-task and work effectively in stressful situations.
- Knowledge of road/vehicle safety precaution, city streets, bus routes and route timing with the ability to call out stops as required by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- Applicants must be able to perform the essential duties of the job such as physical requirements which are repetitive and constant, sitting for prolonged periods of time, reaching, gripping, pushing/pulling of steering wheel, twisting and turning of neck, sensory and perceptual demands, along with good concentration. Regularly exposed to fumes, odours, and moderate noise.
- Must be available to report to work, subject to scheduling and staffing requirements including; days, evenings, nights, holidays, weekends, and split shifts.
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check, including vulnerable sector, at candidates own expense.
- Passing of a customer service and driving evaluation is required for candidates who are not currently in the role of a bus operator.
Please inform us of any accommodations we need to make to ensure a barrier-free recruitment experience. Accommodations are available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act at any stage in the recruitment process. We’re happy to provide more information if you email us at HRCity@cityofkingston.ca.
We thank all who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
City of Kingston
216 Ontario Street,
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|