Registered Social Worker
Registered Social Worker
|Age-Wise Solutions Inc.|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: March 18th 2020
Deadline: May 17th, 2020
Promoting the value of vulnerable elderly.
Age-Wise Solutions Inc. is Ontario’s largest social work organization specializing in long-term care. We have been providing clinical social work services to residential care settings since 1997. Our services offer elderly residents a quality of support and advocacy they deserve and often at the most vulnerable stage of their lives.
We are currently seeking a Registered Social Worker who wants to make a difference in the lives of people living in long-term care. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, enjoys working within an interdisciplinary team and is excited and motivated to learn. This position is located in Pembroke and is three days per week (22.5 hours).
Age-Wise recognizes challenges the elderly person faces when they can no longer live independently. At a time in their lives where most are least able to manage change, we are asking them to make one of the biggest changes in their lives; moving into a care setting with strangers all around. Our registered Social Workers support them in this journey, making sure they know they matter and that their transition will be made easier with understanding and support. By making this difference in the elderly person’s transition, we are also there for the family and staff who are also trying to make the resident’s admission as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
- Provide therapeutic counselling in complex areas such as life transitions, grief and loss, mental health
- Assess for and aid in the treatment of mental health
- Conduct psychosocial, cognitive, depression assessments
- Complete suicide risk assessments, interventions and monitoring
- Conduct resident or caregiver support groups
- Provide mediation between home and resident or family
- Ongoing education for residents, family and staff about the importance of the person-centred and social model of care
- Active engagement with outside agencies to offer additional support or augment what already exists
- Liaise on behalf of residents with respect to issues related to powers of attorney, substitute decision-makers, the consent and capacity board and the public guardian and trustee
- Registration in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
- Bachelor's or master's degree in social work from an accredited university
- Demonstrated knowledge, sensitivity and expertise in the care of seniors and their families
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of an interdisciplinary team and independently
- Clinical competence and commitment to quality resident care
- Superior skills in advocating on behalf of clients
- A calm and patient listener
- Self-motivated and ability to manage a varied caseload
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision- making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities
- Maintains a current working knowledge of relevant legislation which includes the Long-Term Care Act, Mental Health Act, Health Care Consent Act, Substitute Decisions Act, PHIPA
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning
- Current vulnerable sector check and clear two-step TB tests prior to starting date
- Professional and commercial liability insurance
- Experience in long-term care, psychiatric or medical social work practice
- Bilingual in English and French (verbal and written)
- Certificate in gerontology or dementia care
- Gentle persuasive approach
As part of the Age-Wise team, you will have access to our network of professionals, clinical support and mentorship as well as professional development opportunities.
For a more detailed look at our company and values, visit our website at www.agewise.ca
Age-Wise Solutions Inc. thanks all candidates for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Age-Wise Solutions Inc.
Pembroke, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|