|City of Kingston|
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posted: August 10th 2019
Deadline: August 16th, 2019
Salary: $29.93 - $37.31 per hour
Kingston’s vision of being a smart, livable 21st-century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative start-ups and all levels of government, Kingston’s high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
We are currently recruiting for a Planner. This is a temporary (up to 12 months), full-time position.
- Reporting to the Manager, Policy Planning, the Planner will process and prepare reports respecting planning applications submitted to the city and will assist in the preparation and implementation of special planning studies, research projects and secondary plans of a medium to long-range nature.
- This position will carry out data collection and maintenance analysis.
- The Planner will provide planning information and advice to members of the public and will represent the city at committee and public meetings and OMB hearings. The Planner will also assist in the general planning administration.
- Assist with the Planner of the day role by addressing general planning inquiries and conducting due diligence in support of zoning compliance letters, claims of legal non-conforming status, and other related matters, working in tandem with the city’s senior planning staff, building officials and licensing staff;
- Assist in the preparation of site plan control agreements and subdivision agreements and the release of related securities, as required;
- Review and process development applications, prepare associated reports, and present recommendations to the planning committee and committee of adjustment;
- Provide general direction to the technical and clerical support staff respecting application processing and requirements for maps, graphs, charts and other visual aids for planning reports;
- Assist in the completion of area-specific land use plans and related planning policy, including support at public meetings, open houses and other engagement events;
- Conduct research and compile technical data to support the land use plans and studies undertaken by the planning division;
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of materials to clients and/or public meetings, committees, councils and local planning appeal tribunal hearings;
- Attend training sessions;
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4-year university degree in urban planning, geography, urban studies, or a related discipline;
- 1 year of relevant work experience;
- Ability to understand and interpret Ontario’s provincial legislative planning regime including the Planning Act, the Provincial Policy Statement, the City of Kingston official plan and zoning by-laws;
- Membership in or eligibility for full membership in OPPI;
- Experience in the use or application of GIS software and project management software is an asset;
- Must demonstrate corporate competencies: customer focus, results orientation, integrity, and teamwork.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with effective interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with changing priorities;
- Ability to present information and issues in a clear and concise manner;
- Must possess superior customer service skills;
- Must obtain and maintain a satisfactory criminal record check at candidates’ expense;
- Must possess and maintain a valid class G driver's licence and provide own vehicle.
Closing: August 16, 2019.
Your resume must clearly demonstrate how you meet the requirements of the position. Please upload to your profile, any educational degrees, diplomas and/or certificates that are relevant and required for the position you are applying to.
We thank all of those who apply; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The City of Kingston is an equal opportunity employer. Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. Information collected will be handled in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
|City of Kingston|
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|