Assistant Director, Communications
Assistant Director, Communications
|Dairy Farmers of Canada|
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posted: December 31st 2018
Deadline: March 1st, 2019
Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) is the national policy, lobbying and promotional organization representing Canada’s farmers living on more than 12,000 farms. DFC strives to create stable conditions for the Canadian dairy sector, today and in the future. It works to maintain policies that foster the viability of Canadian dairy farming and promote dairy products and their health benefits.
We are currently seeking an Assistant Director, Communications to join our team based in Ottawa.
The Assistant Director acts as a managing editor of all corporate, public relations and policy publications. The Assistant Director is responsible for ensuring that the organization’s brand image is upheld while maintaining consistency of messages throughout the organization’s various departments. The incumbent will provide assistance in designing communications strategies in the implementation of the organization’s objectives as well as in dealing with national challenges that affect the dairy sector.
Why Dairy Farmers of Canada?
- Dairy Farmers of Canada offers a variety of group benefits that ensure the health and wellness of its employees;
- Dairy Farmers has a competitive vacation policy. In addition, our offices are closed with full pay from December 25 to January 2 inclusively;
- Do you love dairy products? If so, you will be pleased to hear that we offer complimentary cheese, yogurt and a variety of milk products on a daily basis!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Principal writer for political communication materials such as press releases, op-eds, online content, letters to the editor, key messages, Q&As and fact sheets. Review and edit communications materials as required;
- Manage the planning, development, implementation and assessment of communication materials according to the various audience targets;
- Oversee the production of the annual report, the bi-monthly newsletter for farmers, monthly articles for provincial dairy organizations and DFC app content;
- Establish monitoring criteria for news broadcasts and special events;
- Acts as publisher of engaging and easy to read web content by establishing an editorial calendar and guidelines for web writing. Ensure that static and evergreen background information, images, infographics and videos support the overall direction for the organization’s website;
- Build and oversee a team of writers that will produce news articles and media material;
- Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the communications function;
- Respond to public requests for information from members, government agencies, businesses, advocacy groups, and other associations;
- Recommend strategies in responding to media stories and trends affecting the dairy sector;
- Develop and maintain strong and effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including members of the media, community and public affairs offices to stay informed and current of new initiatives, trends and to ensure effective communication and advancement of DFC’s objectives.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding current and emerging requirements and practices communications and public relations;
- Strong leadership skills with an ability to influence people and build consensus among all levels of the organization;
- Proven experience and abilities in communicating difficult concepts and negotiating with others to adopt a different point of view;
- Proven ability to work in team settings;
- Knowledge of strategic communications concepts, principles, methodology and techniques;
- Excellent project management skills with an ability to synthesize data into clear actionable statements. Detail-oriented, organized and diligent in preparation;
- Strong facilitation skills with the ability to work with key stakeholders with differing needs and develop an agreed upon solution;
- Adaptability to change, able to navigate uncertainty and work independently balanced with taking direction and guidance;
- Must be highly professional, have good judgment, proactively take initiative, able to multitask and demonstrated ability to work well under pressure;
- Ability to prioritize and make necessary decisions aligned with leadership direction;
- Self-motivated, energetic, collaborative and proactive; a senior advisor who can positively and productively impact strategic and tactical goals and objectives by empowering team in a learning environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related field;
- Minimum 7 years of experience in internal communications, crisis communication, public relations and management, preferably in a national association and a not-for-profit and/or working in a federated model;
- A robust understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing the dairy industry;
- A solid understanding of the provincial, national and international dairy developments as they relate to public opinion, policy and politics;
- Experience in using tactics such as media relations, communications (media), and stakeholder relations in achieving goals;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to people at all levels;
- Ability to demonstrate tact, diplomacy and discretion in all communications;
- Strong organizational and time management skills to effectively handle issues simultaneously and meet scheduled timelines;
- Team player with an approachable disposition and a good sense of humour;
- Demonstrate diplomacy and political knowledge and understanding in all aspects of your work;
- Bilingual (French and English) is a must.
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Must be able to work non-traditional hours at times in order to meet operational needs. Travel is required to attend meetings primarily within Canada. Travel should not exceed 10% of total working time.
Candidates are invited to send their cover letter and resume to . For additional information on our organization, please visit our website at https://www.dairyfarmers.ca/.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
|Dairy Farmers of Canada|
21 Florence Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Please indicate you found this job on easternontariojobs.com|