Saint Paul University (1848) is the founding college of the University of Ottawa, with which it has maintained a federated relationship since 1965. Bilingual and on a human scale, it has nearly 1,000 students. It offers programs in social communication, counselling and psychotherapy, canon law, public ethics, conflict studies, philosophy, theology, human relations, transformative leadership and spirituality, and social innovation. Saint Paul University offers an environment conducive to professional growth and competitive benefits.
We are recruiting for a Library Assistant. This is a part-time position at 21 hours per week.
This position is responsible for ensuring the highest quality public service to the university community and supporting efficient and accurate access to library resources and services. This position involves providing both circulation and information services and provides exceptional service to library patrons using library resources.
Provision of circulation services at a single service point
- Charges and discharge library materials and audiovisual equipment and place requests on behalf of students, staff, faculty and members of the public;
- Collects overdue fines, handles cash, adds money to student accounts for copying;
- Receives and responds to routine in-person and telephone inquiries;
- Books and prepares videos, DVDs and handles routine issues with streaming materials;
- Assists patrons on the basic functions of computer equipment.
Provision of information services at a single service point
- Responds to all in-person, email and telephone requests accurately, intelligently, courteously and expeditiously utilizing knowledge of the collection and diverse resources including those in electronic format. Refers complex questions to librarians;
- Assists patrons with basic questions on standard software, such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Utilizes judgment in assessing the needs of students and responds appropriately in a respectful manner;
- Maintains public workstations, rebooting and troubleshooting print issues.
- Withdraws library materials as instructed;
- Performs word processing, filing, photocopying and book mending tasks;
- Handles donated materials according to established guidelines;
- Assists instructional librarians with the revision of library guides, web pages, handouts and labs as assigned;
- Assists in the promotion of library programs and services through production of displays and the creation of bibliographies and publicity information as assigned;
- Performs other duties as required.
Interested candidates are requested to submit an online application by February 26, 2021 at midnight.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position. We will be contacting only those candidates who have been chosen for the next step of the selection process.
We are committed to ensure employment equity and we encourage the participation of all Canadians. If your application is successful and you think you need accommodation during the selection process, please notify us. Your personal information is protected under the provisions of the Privacy Act.