With the help of volunteers and Habitat homeowners, Habitat Greater Ottawa (formerly Habitat National Capital Region) builds safe, decent and affordable homes, including single-family and multi-unit houses. Habitat has been building homes in Ottawa since 1993 and has served 76 local families over the last 25 years.
Habitat for Humanity Greater Ottawa is currently recruiting for a Construction Manager. This is a full-time position.
The Construction Manager’s role is to oversee the entire build process from design to permits and inspections. These tasks will include all pre-build planning as well as post-build documentation and warranty and deficiencies work. They will also play a lead role in the acquisition and scheduling of materials and gift-in-kind. The Construction Manager manages the daily details and work breakdown structure of all new residential build projects. This includes preparing budgets and build schedules, material acquisition, gifts-in-kind, purchase orders, sub-contracts, on-site training and management of build volunteers and professional trades.
Project Planning and Management
- Ensure construction is completed in accordance with municipal building codes, by-laws, municipal, provincial and federal statutory requirements, and Habitat GO’s home building standards.
- During the non-build season, prepare build manuals and guidelines; create a detailed work back schedule for upcoming builds; coordinate professional trades, material acquisition and gifts-in-kind.
- Secure material and service quotes, all required gifts-in-kind; ensure material and services provided by local and national suppliers are ordered and available on-site in accordance with the construction schedule.
- Establish task forces to assist with gift-in-kind or other construction needs as required.
- Review all warranty and Tarion related materials to ensure that all necessary warranty work is completed.
- Manage and coordinate the team of Professional Consultants during project planning, development and design stages to ensure compliance with Habitat GO’s interests and vision.
- Work with Community Engagement Coordinator to identify needed skills and requirements to align with the work back schedule.
- Work with the Family Services Manager to ensure that future homeowners complete all program requirements re: construction of their homes and post-occupancy deficiencies.
Construction Coordination and Supervision
- Develop and oversee Habitat GO’s build schedule including pre-build, build, post-build and warranty.
- Create budget estimates, monitor construction progress against the established schedules and budgets and prepare reports and recovery mitigation plans.
- Provide construction oversight and ensure construction stays on schedule through the management of the site supervisor(s).
- Daily due diligence and monitoring of on-site health, safety, environmental conditions and potential hazards.
- Ensure inspections are conducted pursuant to municipal, provincial and federal requirements.
- Ensure the construction schedule and deadlines are met in a timely manner throughout the construction process.
- Take appropriate action to deal with the results of delays, bad weather or emergencies on the construction site and communicate recovery plans to the operations team.
- Ensure site security to the best of his/her ability, i.e. appropriate fencing, securing of tool crib and houses as necessary.
- Work with the Director of Development to establish and support the gift-in-kind committee.
- Provide progress reports to the Director of Operations and Communications on a weekly basis.
- Supervise the safeguarding and maintenance of a comprehensive inventory of Habitat GO’s construction tools, supplies and equipment; monitor compliance of power tools with safety regulations.
- Ensure all tools and equipment are maintained and in good repair as required.
- Ensure all on-site materials, supplies, tools and equipment are adequately supervised and stored in a safe and secure manner.
- Be responsible for site preparation, assignment of specific tasks to the site supervisor(s), crew leads and volunteers, ensure that an adequate supply of necessary tools, safety equipment and materials are arranged to be on-site daily, and supervise performance and clean-up.
- With the agreement of the CEO and Director of Operations and Communications, update job site requirements as needed.
- With the CEO and Director of Operations and Communications work towards LEED builds.
- With the support of the Director of Development, be responsible for acquiring build materials at no charge or a discounted price.
Volunteer and Safety Management
- In coordination with the site supervisor(s) be responsible for the supervision, training (in-house where possible), and coordination of all on-site volunteers.
- In coordination with the site supervisor(s) determine which build tasks are not suitable for volunteers and secure the services of the appropriate professionals or individuals to perform these tasks.
- In coordination with the Volunteer Coordinator, organize safety training and other skill-based training for volunteers and deliver daily safety training on the building site.
- Identify, help recruit, train and provide leadership for crew leaders.
- On a daily basis supervise, coordinate and provide direction to the Construction Site Supervisor(s).
- Support employees in the efforts to upgrade existing skills and ensure occupational health and safety training requirements are kept up to date.